Tuesday 18 October 2011

Image and Shot Type Analysis for Genre



This photograph is a foreground ECU (Extreme Close-Up) and in the background it is a MS (Mid Shot). I had a low apeture which gave the photo a shallow DOP (Depth Of Field). The genre I was trying to portray in this hsot was thriller/crime scene action. The idea of the shot is that the Anna Cardy (foreground), the protagonist is directly addressing the camera. This makes her seem agressive (in a good way) like she is keen on solving some sort of mystery. The idea of the mystery comes from the fact that Jeng Au (background) is blurred, which connotes that the protagonist doesnt know who she is and enigmatic. This shot is almost a reverse over the shoulder shot. I wanted to have her eye in focus because it acts as a sharp focus point. I also used the rules of thirds, with Anna's eye being on the first/second third divider and Jeng being on the second/third third divider going from left to right. I decided not to give the audience any idea of setting or time period.

I think this shot worked well and showed the genre codes and conventions of thriller/crime well. If I were to retake the shot I would frame it closer into the eye, to have a really sharp piercing effect. I would also maybe leave some space for text if it were to be editied into a poster or opening title. I would also use artificial lighting but have the whole image darker. I would probably use a 300watt strobe light with a honeycomb/candlelight grid probably a 30 degree one. I would also use an orange tinted fill light to illuminate the background character.

No comments:

Post a Comment