Saturday 24 March 2012

Question 6: What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

My main learning curve in terms of technology was transferring my photography lighting knowledge over and adapting it to use for motion picture lighting. I was using my own light which are all made by a company called Blazzeo.



 They are photography flash strobes, 1 light being 600w/s and the other two being 180w/s.



They are intended to be used so that when you take a picture they flash and you get a good exposure, he problem was we needed a constant light as we were filming. The lights also had a modelling light on them, which stays on constantly to show you where the light will flash, these are not very bright which was perfect seeing as we wanted a dark room with a very shallow tint of blue light using gels.


 We originally only used the more powerful light, but a lot of our footage came out grainy so in our real shoot we used all three lights. I was in charge and did all the lighting for the shoot as I was most confident and knowledgeable about how the lighting worked. I showed and gave my peers chances to learn and have a go on the lights aswell in order for them to hopefully get some experience with lights. We had a problem with a bulb blowing part the way through our shoot, in terms of health and safety everyone was fine as I made sure everyone stays behind the lights unless acting and also I always had either of filter or some other light modifier on the front of the light which would protect anyone should something go wrong. We used light modifiers such as softboxes, shoot through umbrellas, reflective umbrellas. I had spare bulbs with me, so this did not affect our shoot.

 Explanations on how softboxes and shoot through umbrellas work (found on zarias.com)

We did non-linear editing on a program called Adobe Premier Pro CS5. I had used this before, but I had never needed to do such complicated tasks like getting 6 webcams onto one screen.



 I also used a graphics program called After Effects, we used this to make the on screen graphics and the part that I had not done before and learnt how to do during the process was actually superimposing the graphic that you have made on to a piece of moving footage and making it look like part of the screen by adding various lighting effects.

We used Matrix style graphics on our screens.


In hindsight I would have left more time for grading and would tell anyone starting a project to leave time for grading as it can make a really big difference.


A program I learnt how to use was LiveType. This is a title making program on the Apple Mac, on which I made all of our titles.


No comments:

Post a Comment